Thursday, January 27, 2005

Verbal Pet Peeves

List of things I've heard today that annoy me:

1. Paged out. (As in, "If this issue occurs this weekend, on-call personnel may be paged out. But if the change is made beforehand, they shouldn't have to page anyone out.")

PAGED, people! Just PAGED!

2. First off. (As in, the thing that comes before... what, second off?!?!?! You see where this can get pretty stupid.)

3. Supposably. 'Nuff said.

4. Anyways. (One anway. Two anyways?)

5. As you already know... (Why are you telling me? Please stop.)

6. Save off (If you're in the computer field, you've heard this one before. As in, "Do I need to save off my documents before I do that?" Similar to "page out." Also in this category... call up, load on, and any other verb that is followed, unnecessarily by a preposition.

7. And my favorite of the week, of course, "Cold enough for ya?" If one more person says this to me (By the way, my rearview mirror thermometer read -15 this morning, without a wind chill.) this week, I'm gonna page out someone to, first off, dump a bucket of ice water on them and, second off, save off their dismembered head in the bucket.

5 comments:

Erik with a K said...

Supposably, it'll be getting warmer soon.

Supposably.

ANYways...

Peter said...

LOL I've actually never heard some of those, but the ones I have piss me off like no other. (Better than being pissed on? Who knows?)

Shamus O'Drunkahan said...

"cold enough for ya" is he ultimate sign that "I have not an original thought in my head". Last year a guy asked me that and I said that yes, it was cold enough for me, and it was actually a little too cold me. Then I rambled on about the optimal weather conditions until his eyes glazed andhe made an excuse to move along. He hasn't said it yet this year, but I'm really hoping he will.

Johnny Virgil said...

Not in defense of idiots, and I've never said this in my entire life, but "saved off" actually makes at least a tiny bit of sense. As in "saved off" the local computer onto something else. A floppy, the network store, a CDR. But then I'm probably giving them too much credit. My wife's inlaws all say "shut the light" when you leave a room. WTF?

Johnny Virgil said...

Actually, I'm still asleep. My wife's inlaws would be MY family...I meant hers. Yeah. That's the ticket. Finish your coffee, Johnny.